What we Discussed
Today in this post, you will learn how to change your name on Zoom before the meeting starts, during the meeting, and how to change your Zoom name permanently.
There is no doubt Zoom is currently the most popular tools to host virtual meetings online both for basic and the premium account. Without mixing word, Zoom helped a lot of small scales and established business to survive the COVID-19. However, Zoom has grown to a multi-million company and the growth is still taking shape. However, the platform gives users, most especially with administrative right over their account.
Zoom is keen at creating a conducive atmosphere for people using the platform for sustenance. However, each meeting on Zoom calls for a different purpose. And if you don’t want to create multiple Zoom account chances are that for you to want to change your Zoom name to meet each meeting you are starting or join.
Therefore, in this guide, I will guide you through how to change your name on Zoom using the Zoom desktop client, mobile phone, and on the Zoom official website.
To change your name on Zoom takes two forms. You can choose to Zoom display name before the meeting. And you can also decide that you want to change your Zoom name while the meeting is ongoing.
However, if the meeting is formal do not change display name during the meeting as this can attract queries from your superiors. But, if it’s for fun or you are having a chit-chat with your friends or colleague, it could be fun to decide to change your Zoom name.
How to Change your Name on Zoom Web
Here is how to change your Zoom name before meeting on Zoom web
- Go to the Zoom.us on your web browser to visit Zoom web.
- Tap on “Mu Account >> Profile Picture” to the top right.
- Tap on “Edit” opposite your display name on Zoom.
- Type the new name you want to display on Zoom and tap on “Save Changes.”
When you start a new meeting or join a meeting with the setup above the formal display name will change to the new one.
How to Change Zoom Name on Desktop Client
To change Zoom name without accessing the Zoom website using the desktop client for Windows and macOS follow the procedures below.
Don’t Miss: How to Change Zoom Background image
- Launch the Zoom desktop client on your PC. If the client software isn’t installed on your PC you can download it from this source.
- Log in to your account with your username and password.
- Tap on the “Settings” gear icon located at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on “Profile” on the left pane and click on “Edit my Profile.”
- This will open a new tab in your default browser to complete the process.
- Now, tap “Edit” opposite your display name on “Zoom” and enter the new name that you want Zoom to start displaying as your name.
Zoom desktop doesn’t offer a standalone approach to edit and change Zoom profile name without the Zoom web. So, going through the Zoom client on Windows or Mac to change your Zoom display name is more or less like using the Zoom web.
How to Change Name on Zoom Mobile
The process to change name on Zoom mobile app is handy and easy to accomplish. Therefore, here is a quick approach to edit and change your Zoom name using the official Zoom mobile app.
- Open the Zoom app on your phone (Android or iPhone).
- Tap on the “Sign In” button to the bottom right.
- Enter your Zoom username and password and tap on the “Sign In” tab.
- Tap on the “Settings” gear icon located at the bottom right.
- Tap on your Zoom display name.
- Tap on the “Display Name” option under “Account.”
- Type the name you want to display on Zoom under “Please enter your name” and tap “OK“
How to change name on Zoom doesn’t require access to Zoom web, unlike the Desktop client.
How to Change Zoom Display Name at the Point of Joining a Meeting
If you are about to join a meeting but want to poke on other participants with your display name. You can quickly change it. To start, make sure that the meeting is almost ready.
For Desktop Client
- Launch the Zoom Desktop client on your PC and make sure you are signed it.
- Tap on your Zoom profile to the top right and tap on “Sign Out” under “Switch Account.”
- Tap on the back button to return to the Zoom cloud meetings interface and tap on “Join a Meeting” instead of the “Sign In” option.
- Enter the “Meeting ID or your link name” and enter the new display name in “Your Name” column and hit the “Join” button at the bottom.
For Web Client
- Choose the option to open the meeting. Here, you can continue the meeting with the desktop client or choose a web browser option on the screen.
- Enter the name again, password the robot text that you are human and tap on the “Join” button.
Follow the instruction on the screen to join the meeting. After the meeting, you can change back your display name if you so care about it.
This will change your display name on Zoom before you logged in and join the meeting.
The above steps can be used to change Zoom name across all Zoom supported platforms. However, next, we will dive into changing the Zoom display name during a meeting.
How to Change Zoom Name During Meeting on App
Before you joined a meeting on the Zoom app you can change your display name. And here is how to;
- Launch the Zoom app and tap on the “Settings” cogwheel icon to the bottom right.
- Tap on your account profile and scroll down to tap on “Sign Out” at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “Ues” on “Do you want to sign out.”
- Now, on start a meeting” screen tap on “Join a meeting.”
- Enter the “Meeting ID, enter the new display name for your Zoom account and tap on “Join Meeting.”
- Enter the “Meeting Password.” If you don’t have the meeting password you can contact the host for the password.
- Choose the option to join whether with the video “ON” or “OFF”
The display name will be visible during the meeting and you can choose to change it back thereafter.
How to Change your Name on Zoom During Meeting
This trick allows you to poke fun at all the participants including the meeting host or admin while the meeting is ongoing. For this to work, you must be a participant.
Windows or Mac
- While in the midst of the meeting tap on “Participant” at the bottom of the cloud service screen.
- Hover your mouse pointer to your Zoom display name and tap on “More.”
- Tap on “Rename” and enter the new “Zoom display name” and tap on the “OK” button to make changes.
Your display name will be changed on Zoom without logging out.
Android and iPhone/iPad
On your Zoom mobile client, you can edit and give yourself a new name during an ongoing meeting and here is how.
- While the meeting is going on tap on the “Participant” option to reveal the number of participants.
- Tap on your name on the list and tap on “Rename.”
- Tap on the “OK” button to save changes.
Instantly, the name on Zoom will be changed to the newly created display name.
Note that if you have an admin right in Zoom meeting you can change participant Zoom name without their permission.
Zoom cloud service allowed users to modify and change their display name permanently, before and during Zoom meeting. So, far, we have covered all possible way to change your display name on Zoom across all platforms.
Do you enjoy this post? Kindly leave a comment below.