What we Discussed
TikTok, formally called Musica.ly, is the latest video-based social media app that is seeing the largest growth worldwide currently ahead of Instagram and Snapchat. You can view parental guides to Musical.ly under useful links to the right of this page to control what your kids have access to on the app.
What is TikTok or Musical.ly?
TikTok is a social network for sharing user-generated comic videos, mostly to see people lip-synching to popular songs and acting drama. It was first called musical.ly (pronounced MU-zik-lee) before it then changed to TikTok (for rebranding purpose).
Users can only create and upload their own videos where they lip-synch, sing, dance, or just talk, change the video background, remove caption from the video, etc. You can also browse the video gallery and interact with other users’ content by sharing the content, like, and comment on, which covers a wide range of topics, songs, and styles.
Is TikTok or Musical.ly Safe?
Using any social network can be risky and expose users to many things we don’t want to get exposed to and lure our kids to what is too bad for that age. However, it’s possible for children to safely use the app with adult supervision (and a private account) with the parental control feature.
When you create TikTok account, your account is made public by default, meaning anyone including your friends, followers, and people that you are following can see your videos, send DM to you, and use and track your location information.
Parents should utilize the TikTok app parental control to monitor children privacy settings and controls for accounts of their children. You can even use Google Family link to monitor your children’s activities so that only people you know that cannot corrupt them can interact with your videos or message your kids on the app.
How Does TikTok or Musical.ly work?
Tik Tok users can sign up with either a phone number, an email address, Facebook, or Instagram, KakaoTalk, Twitter, Line, and Google. Once you created and logged in to your TikTok account, you can search popular creators, categories (comedy, animals, sports), and start using TikTok hashtags to find videos from different categories.
To link up with your friends faster, you can use your phone contacts or social media followers to find the list of friends who already joined the app.
Your child may create videos for TikTok but age restriction will put them behind the way except uou help them to post it. TikTok can turn you to a great content creator with time if you are dedicated and you are using the right tool.
Is TikTok or Musical.ly Appropriate for Underage?
Because of TikTok’s emphasis on popular music, many videos include swearing and sexual lyrics, so it may not be age-appropriate for children to use on their own.
It’s also easy to find people wearing revealing clothing and dancing suggestively, although Tik Tok won’t let you search for objectionable content such as “sex” or “porn.” If you supervise your children and stick to songs you already know from the radio, Tik Tok can be a child-friendly experience.
What age is TikTok or Musical.ly Recommended for?
Tik Tok requires that users be at least 13 years old to use the app and that anyone under the age of 18 must have the approval of a parent or guardian — but there are plenty of young users. If your child wants to use the app, the account should belong to an adult who can monitor what younger users are browsing and sharing.
How can you Make your TikTok or Musical.ly Account Private?
To make your TikTok account private follow the steps below.
- Go to your profile page
- Select the three-dot icon in the top-right corner.
- Select Privacy and Safety.
- There, toggle the switch for “Private Account.”
- You can also edit who can send you comments and direct messages, and who can do a duet with you.
How do I Delete a TikTok or Musical.ly video?
To delete a Tik Tok video that you have posted to your account follow the steps highlited below.
- Go to uour profile and select the video you want to delete from your profile.
- From there, tap the “…” icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Select Delete or the trash can icon.
- You will be asked if you are sure you want to delete the video.
- Then it will be removed from your profile.
How can I delete a TikTok or Musical.ly account?
To delete a Tik Tok account follow the approach below
- Go to your profile, then select the “…” icon in the top-right corner.
- Select Manage My Account.
- From there, you must add a phone number if you haven’t already. This must be a working number, as they will text you a code to verify the number and later to verify deleting the account.
- Once you’ve added a phone number, an option at the bottom of the Manage My Account menu will appear, asking, “Thinking about removing your account?” Tap the phrase, which will lead you to a new page prompting you to enter a verification code.
- Choose “Send Code” to receive a text message with the verification code.
- Enter the number, then select Continue. You will be given information on what is entailed in deleting the account.
- Choose Continue once again for a final confirmation that you want to delete your account, then tap Delete Account.
How can I Monitor my Child’s Activity on TikTok or musical.ly?
Other than blocked search terms, there’s no way to filter out content on Tik Tok, so children using the app on their own might come across age-inappropriate videos.
Parents can and should share an account with children under the age of 13. For older children, ask about their favourite video creators and get to know their videos (with or without your child). Also, take the time to regularly look at the most popular songs, videos, and challenges.