What we Discussed
If you looking for WhatsApp and Telegram replacement Zalo app is probably the next big video and voice call app for Android and iPhone. Zalo is killing WhatsApp silently with its features. It doesn’t take long for Zalo to catch up with WhatsApp. The WhatsApp web that takes years to unleash is making waves with Zalo.
If you are just starting with Zalo and need an expert guide on how to set up your account here is a guide for you. Here in this lesson, you will learn how to set up the Zalo account.
What is Zalo App?
What gave birth to Zalo? Zalo is a Vietnam indigenous video and voice over the internet app just like Skype, Zoom, and WhatsApp. The main goal of the Zalo app is to promote local app over international apps.
The app allows you to make free video calls, voice calls, and chat with your friends for free on the app.
In 2020, the government of Vietnam, so far, has sent over 3.5 million messages using the Zalo platform to preach to the citizen about COVID-19 and how to stay safe.
What gave Birth to Zalo
The story behind Zalo is the one you want to hear. Every startup has a story that is sweet to the ear. But, the financial aspect is always the major concern. For a startup to break-it-through, it requires good intent and financial stability.
But, how did Zalo came through and dominate Vietnam as the most popular and download messenger app ahead of WhatsApp?
Just like Mark started Facebook and purchased WhatsApp from Jan Koum and Brian Acton in 2014 who were former employees of Yahoo. So also is Quang Khai who started Zalo
The word “Zalo” came from “Zing” and “Alo” which means “Hello” on phone in Vietnam language. Zalo was launched in 2012 and ever since it has become one of the most sorts after messaging app in Vietnam with Vietnam government monitoring the app and using the platform to communicate with the citizen.
However, if you have not installed and setup Zalo on your Android, iPhone, Zalo for desktop and Zalo web, here is a guide for you.
How to Download Zalo on Android and iPhone
You can download Zalo app from the Google play store or Apple store for iPhone and install the app on your phone. Follow the leads below.
- Launch the Google Playstore app.
- Tap “Zalo” and hit the search button.
- Tap on the “Install” button
- Wait for the app download and install on your phone.
Once the app has been installed successfully, you need to set up an account on the app.
How to Create Zalo Account
It’s time to create your Zalo account. When you first open the app you will see three language options at the bottom. For this guide, we will select “English” as our default language.
- Tap on “Register” on the screen.
- Allow “Zalo” to make and manage phone calls and access to call logs on your phone.
- Enter your full name and tap on the proceed arrow button to the bottom right.
- Select your country from the drop menu, enter your phone and tap the proceed arrow button to access to Zalo terms and conditions.
- You need to confirm your phone number if it’s correct. Once the phone number has been confirmed, tap on the “Confirm” button on the screen.
- A confirmation code will be sent to your phone number. Enter the code and wait for the confirmation process to complete. Once the code is confirmed you will be taken to another interface.
- Tap on your gender set your date of birth and tap the proceed button
- You will be asked to upload your avatar. Tap on the “edit” icon or “select image” and upload your Zalo profile picture. You can do this later though. Hence, tap on the proceed arrow button t the bottom right.
- Tap “Allow” to grant Zalo access to your contact and device location.
- Accept “Mini” chat permission from the pop.
Now, you can add friends from your phone contacts, join Zalo chat rooms, and make product purchase within the app.
When you click on the cogwheel settings icon to the top right you will see privacy settings, account and security, backup and sync messages, dark and light theme, notifications, message, calls, data and storage, timeline and story, the option to logout and others.
How to Set Zalo Password
Each time you log out of your Zalo account you will be asked to log in with your phone number and enter your login password.
- While you are still logged in with the new account interface.
- Tap on the Settings icon to the top. Tap on “Account and security.”
- Click on “Change Password.”
- Enter the new password, re-enter it again, and tap “update.
Now, when next you logged out of your Zalo account you will be prompt to enter your password before you can log back into your account.
How to Change your Phone Number
If you just got a new phone or lost the old phone number you can change your Zalo phone number. And here is how.
- Log in to your Zalo account with your phone number and password.
- Click on the Settings icon located at the top screen.
- Tap “Account and settings.”
- Tap “Change Phone number.”
- Enter the new phone number and tap change.
It’s advisable to backup your Zalo chat before you move to change your phone number so that you will not lose your chat when you change your phone number.
How to backup Zalo Chat
Enabling this feature will help to backup and sync your chats on Zalo messenger.
- Open the Zalo app
- Click settings.
- Tap backup and sync messages.
- Toggle to enable the backup & sync option.
Your backup will start immediately and ask to upload your backup file to Google Drive or not. To back up to Google Drive, tap on “Google Drive” and log in to your Google Drive account to complete the migration. You can also choose the option to backup with. Either on phone network or only on WiFi or both.
How to Enable Dark Mode
If you are fond of using Zalo at night you can turn on the dark mode theme to help reduce the app screen brightness.
- Sign in to your Zalo account.
- Tap on the cogwheel settings to the top right location.
- Tap on the app theme.
- Tap on “Dark”
Instantly, the light them will change to dark them and you can then tap on the back button to start chatting with your friends. At the time of writing this article, there is no option to enable automatically dark mode on Zalo. You have to switch between the app light theme and dark theme.
How to Disable Auto-play Videos on your Timeline
If you don’t want your timeline videos to play automatically you can disable them.
- Log in to your account and tap on the settings.
- Click on “Timeline and story.”
- Tap “do not autoplay video”Tap on autoplay video.
The option will be processed and autoplay video will be disabled on your account.
How to Block Friends on Zalo
Make use of Zalo block feature to add friends to blocklist on the platform.
- Open your Zalo account.
- Tap on settings.
- Tap on “Timeline and story”
- Tap “Blocked list.”
- Tap “Add” to the top-right.
- Select the friend you want to add to blocklist and tap add.
The friend will no longer be able to send messages to you, view your timeline and story, and all connections between you both will be disconnected until the friend is removed from the blocked list.
How to Delete Zalo Account
If you think it’s time to take some time off the app. You can backup your account and delete your account. With the backup file, you can create a new Zalo account and restore your backup file from Google Drive.
- Log in to your Zalo account.
- Tap “Settings >> account and security.
- Scroll down and tap “Delete account”
- Enter your Zalo password. If you have not created a password, follow the steps above to create your Zalo password.
- Tap “Confirm” to delete.
This will delete all your search history and chats from Zalo database.